Spray tanning is becoming an increasingly popular way to achieve a sun-kissed glow without the damaging side effects of traditional tanning methods. But how long does a spray tan actually last? Read on to learn more about the longevity of spray tans, as well as tips to help you make your tan last longer.
What is a spray tan?
A spray tan is a method of achieving an artificial tan without exposing your skin to the damaging UV rays of the sun or the risks associated with tanning beds. The process involves applying a solution of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) and other ingredients, such as bronzers and moisturizers, to the skin using an airbrush or machine. The solution interacts with the proteins in the skin’s outermost layers and develops into a tan over 8-24 hours.
Factors that Affect How Long a Spray Tan Lasts
There are several factors that can affect how long a spray tan will last. These include:
1. Skin type: Dry skin tends to make the tan fade faster, while oily skin tends to hold it longer.
2. Aftercare: Properly caring for your skin after receiving a spray tan is key to preserving your tan for as long as possible. This includes moisturizing regularly, avoiding hot showers and swimming pools, and exfoliating as needed.
3. Product quality: Using a high-quality product with good ingredients can make all the difference in how long your tan will last.
4. Skin color: Darker skin tones tend to hold tans longer than lighter skin tones.
5. Lifestyle habits: Your lifestyle habits can also impact the longevity of your tan. Activities such as sweating and swimming can cause your tan to fade faster.
How Long a Spray Tan Typically Lasts
A general timeline for how long a spray tan lasts
A spray tan typically lasts between five to ten days. However, the exact amount of time can vary based on factors such as skin type, product quality and lifestyle habits. On average, a spray tan will start to fade around day three or four and may need to be touched up after seven to eight days. To make your spray tan last longer, it is important to properly care for your skin and use high-quality products.
How the timeline can vary based on the factors mentioned earlier
The timeline for how long a spray tan lasts can vary based on several factors. For example, those with dry skin may find that their tan fades faster than those with oily skin. Additionally, if aftercare routine is not followed properly, the tan will fade more quickly than if proper steps are taken to preserve the tan. Other factors such as product quality and lifestyle habits can also play a role in how long the tan will last.
How to Make Your Spray Tan Last Longer
Tips on how to extend the life of a spray tan
1. Moisturize regularly: Keeping your skin hydrated is key to preserving your tan for as long as possible. It’s important to moisturize your skin both before and after getting a spray tan. While a moisturizer with lactic acid or glycolic acid can help to extend the life of your tan, it’s important to avoid products containing alcohol as they can cause your tan to fade more quickly.
2. Avoid hot water: Hot water can strip the oils from your skin and cause your tan to fade faster. Opt for lukewarm or cool showers instead.
3. Exfoliate regularly: Regular exfoliation will help remove dead skin cells and prevent your spray tan from fading prematurely. However, it’s important not to over-exfoliate as this can cause the tan to fade too quickly.
4. Wear sunscreen: Sun exposure can cause your spray tan to fade faster, so it’s important to wear a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 when spending time outdoors.
5. Use a good quality product: Using a high-quality product with good ingredients will help make your spray tan last longer. Look for products that contain quality ingredients such as DHA, bronzers and moisturizers.
How to properly care for your skin before and after a spray tan
Before a Spray Tan
1. Exfoliate: A few days before your spray tan, it’s important to exfoliate your skin. This helps remove any dead skin cells and prepare your skin for the tanning solution.
2. Moisturize: Make sure to moisturize your skin prior to receiving a spray tan as this will help the solution go on more evenly and last longer.
3. Shave: If you need to shave, do so the day before your spray tan session as shaving can make your skin sensitive and more prone to irritation.
After a Spray Tan
1. Avoid showering: Hot water can strip the oils from your skin and cause your tan to fade faster. Wait at least 8 hours after receiving a spray tan before showering.
2. Wear loose clothing: When coming home from a spray tan, wear loose clothing in order to avoid the fabric from rubbing and smudging your tan.
3. Avoid certain activities: Activities such as sweating and swimming can cause your tan to fade faster, so it’s best to avoid these activities for at least 8 hours after receiving a spray tan.
How to Tell When Your Spray Tan is Fading
Signs that your spray tan is starting to fade
One of the signs that your spray tan is starting to fade is a change in color. Your tan should be an even, golden brown when first applied, but will start to fade if not properly cared for. If you notice that some areas are looking patchy or lighter than others, it could be a sign that your tan is starting to fade. Additionally, if you start to notice streaks or spots, it could be a sign that your spray tan is starting to fade.
It’s also important to pay attention to any changes in texture. Your skin should feel smooth and even when you first get a spray tan, but this can change as the tan starts to fade. If you notice your skin feeling dry or flaky in certain areas, it could be an indication that your spray tan is fading.
Finally, if you start to notice an unpleasant odor, this could be a sign that your spray tan is fading and needs to be reapplied.
What to do once your spray tan has faded
Once your spray tan has faded, it’s important to take steps to restore your skin. First, exfoliate the affected area with a gentle scrub or washcloth to remove any dead skin cells and restore your natural glow. Next, apply a moisturizer to rehydrate and nourish the skin. Finally, reapply the spray tan solution for an even and long-lasting tan.
To ensure your spray tan lasts as long as possible, there are a few additional steps you can take to prolong its life. First, try to limit your time in the sun and always use an SPF of 30 or higher when outdoors. Additionally, avoid activities that cause sweating such as exercise or sauna visits which can cause your tan to fade faster. Finally, make sure to moisturize your skin regularly to keep it looking and feeling smooth.
With proper care and maintenance, a spray tan can last up to a few weeks. To extend the life of your spray tan, it’s important to exfoliate prior to application, moisturize daily, avoid hot water and excessive sweating, and always wear SPF when outdoors. Additionally, using a high-quality product with quality ingredients will help make your spray tan last longer.